M&V: Tragic Power - Handel's Tamerlano, reviewed by Robert Anderson

Von: Music and Vision (unews@mvdaily.com) [Profil]
Datum: 28.01.2010 13:37
Newsgroup: alt.arts
http://www.mvdaily.com/

'The simplicity of the production is welcome ...'

'World-conquerors are an unmitigated nuisance, whether they be
Tamburlaine, Napoleon or Hitler. Even if it seems a bit unfair, in the
inevitable absence of a castrato, to cast the marauding Mongol as a
woman (here Monica Bacelli), I am all for making him a figure of fun,
adorning him in voluminous robes of white, green, mauve, and black
with towering white wig, planting what I assume is his enlarged foot
atop a gigantic globe, and giving him a first entrance enlivened by
extravagant dance steps. Little elephants parade occasionally above
the back wall, and a huge one carries the much wronged form of
Jennifer Holloway as his wife, newly arrived from India ...'

Robert Anderson's full (and illustrated) review of this Opus Arte set
is featured in today's Music & Vision Magazine, still available free
of charge, for a limited time (if you register).

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]