Re: Floating Gaza Flotilla Thoughts / S D Rodrian

Von: George Dance (georgedance04@yahoo.ca) [Profil]
Datum: 06.06.2010 15:02
Newsgroup: alt.writing alt.philosophy.debate alt.arts.poetry.commentsmisc.writing
On Jun 6, 3:55 am, Paul Heslop <paul.hes...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> George Dance wrote:

wrote
:

<paul.hes...@blueyonder.co.uk>

Lookhttp://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

remember he wa
s the

into

petard" means

> > > how the hell did he hoist himself with a grenade?
> > > --
> > > Paul  (we break easy)
>
> > When you blow something up, it flies through the air, either whole or
> > in pieces; that's what the 'up' signifies.
>
> hardly hoist though. I allus thought hoist was to string up?
> --
> Paul  (we break easy)
> Stop and Lookhttp://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

I can understand that. Nowadays we have  a noun, 'hoist' (a rope/
pulley combination for lifting things) and the verb 'hoist' looks like
a verbing of that, 'to raise with a hoist.' But I've been told that it
wasn't like that at all: 'hoist' originally meant just to raise or
lift, and the noun came later.

I've gotta say 'I've been told' because this is all second-hand. I
wasn't around speaking the language when Shakespeare used 'hoist'
phrase (and despite your comments on your advanced age, I doubt you
were either). So I spent the night doing what I usually do when
someone challenges me on a point: gone off on the web to see if I can
find any more authoritative source of info on the topic. I did find
this piece:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/hoist-with-his-own-petard/

and (FWIW) a Wikipedia article that says the same thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petard

I hope you enjoy the reading of them.

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]