About self-love

Von: rhuff163 (rhuff163@cfl.rr.com) [Profil]
Datum: 07.05.2010 08:27
Newsgroup: alt.christnet alt.christian.word-of-faith alt.christian.businessmen alt.christian alt.bible.memorize
Devotional Guide For the Week of May 2, 2010

JESUS IN NUMBERS

About self-love

To Know:

³Now the Lord will give you meat, and you will eat it. You will not eat it
for just one day, or two days, or five, ten or twenty days, but for a whole
month ­ until it come out of your nostrils and you loathe it ­ because you
have rejected the Lord, who is among you, and have wailed before him,
saying, Why did we ever leave Egypt?¹²  (Num 11:20)

On the principle of ³never eat anything that has travelled farther than you
have,² I never ate crabmeat when living in El Paso, Texas. My grandfather
was a lobsterman and we were often given the crabs that he considered a
nuisance when he pulled his pots. After my discharge from the army, I
returned home and took a job at the local beach. My mother felt like she had
received a new lease on life because I survived my tour of duty. Every day
she packed my lunch. On the first day she asked if there was anything
special I wanted as a sandwich. ³Yes,² I said, ³it would be a treat to have
a crabmeat sandwich.² That day a crabmeat sandwich was in my lunch and every
day thereafter for ninety days. It was hard to believe but by summer¹s end I
loathed crabmeat.

It only took a month for the Israelites to loathe quail. We are a culture
that has feasted for years on self-love. Jesus meant to love others as
ourselves because we do already love ourselves. Some, even Bible teachers,
suggest that Jesus was promoting self-love as an avenue to loving others
more. He was not. For Christ, self-love was a given and we were to use it as
a measuring rod to determine how to love others than ourselves. If we feast
long enough on self-love we will become as sick of our selves as I was of
crabmeat and Israel was of quail.

050710$-050710

<{{{{{{><

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]