About Balaam

Von: rhuff163 (rhuff163@cfl.rr.com) [Profil]
Datum: 19.05.2010 11:13
Newsgroup: alt.christnet alt.christian.word-of-faith alt.christian.businessmen alt.christian alt.bible.memorize
Devotional Guide For the Week of May 16, 2010

JESUS IN NUMBERS

About Balaam

To Know:

³Then Balaam said to Balak, Stay here beside your offering while I go
aside. Perhaps the Lord will come to meet with me. Whatever he reveals to me
I will tell you.¹ Then he went off to a barren height. God met with him, and
Balaam said, I have prepared seven altars, and on each altar I have offered
a bull and a ram. The Lord put a message in Balaam¹s mouth and said, Go
back to Balak and give him this message.¹² (Nu.23: 3-5)

On the surface this is a perplexing chapter. It is perplexing because it
seems to present Balaam as a courageous prophet who speaks truth to power.
The perplexity resides in the universal condemnation of Balaam in the New
Testament. The apostle Peter launches a powerful attack against false
teachers by likening them to the false prophets of old. He says of these
falsifiers that, ³They have left the straight way and wandered off to follow
the way of Balaam son of Beor, who loved the wages of wickedness. But he was
rebuked for his wrongdoing by a donkey ­ a beast without speech ­ who spoke
with a man¹s voice and restrained the prophet¹s madness.² (2 Pet. 2:15,16)
Also Jude, the Lord¹s brother denounces Balaam. He writes, ³Woe to them!
They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam¹s
error; they have been destroyed in Korah¹s rebellion.² (Jude 1:11)

How is this perplexity solved? Is it possible that Balaam is using a ploy to
squeeze more money out of Balak? We are all aware of television evangelists
who promise their listeners rewards from God when they send a payment for
the ministry they receive through the broadcast. Usually the promise of
payment is couched in a biblical text. For example, ³Give, and it will be
given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running
over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be
measured to you.¹ (Lk. 6:37,38) Some treat Jesus as an investment
strategist. They promote the idea that money sent to their ministry is a
virtual guarantee that the return on their investment will make them able to
thrive financially. Perhaps Balaam saw Balak¹s urgency to rid himself of
those he considered invaders as the avenue to extracting more money from the
Moabite king.

051910$-051910

<{{{{{{><

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]