About that received

Von: rhuff163 (rhuff163@cfl.rr.com) [Profil]
Datum: 08.06.2010 12:51
Newsgroup: alt.christnet alt.christian.word-of-faith alt.christian.businessmen alt.christian alt.bible.memorize
Devotional Guide For the Week of June 6, 2010

JESUS IN NUMBERS/DEUTERONOMY

About that received

To Know:

³The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were
more numerous than other peoplesŠ But it was because the Lord loved you and
kept the oath he swore to your forefathers that he brought you out with a
mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of
Pharaoh king of Egypt. Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is
the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of
those who love him and keep his commands.²(Deut. 7:7-9)

God has great plans for Israel. Through Moses leadership, the Lord is about
to fulfill his promise to Abraham made five centuries before. The Lord
warned his people that they would be tempted to imagine themselves blessed
because of what they earned and therefore deserved. Deserve is a deadly
word. In the Sound of Music, Maria Von Trapp sings lyrics God wants expunged
from the lips of his people. She sang, ³Nothing comes from nothing, nothing
ever did, for somewhere in my youth or childhood I must have done something
good?² God will not have his people deceived into believing that the good
that comes to them is his reward because we are good. God¹s grace is grace
from beginning to end. This is the anchor doctrine of the Bible.

The apostle Paul established this truth when he asked the Corinthian
Christians what they believed regarding the source of all things. ³What do
you have that you did not receive? The very first sentence of the Bible had
already answered Paul¹s question. ³In the beginning God created the heavens
and the earth.² Everything comes from the hand of God.  Since Paul assumes
the Corinthians will answer, ³Nothing,² he asks a second question, ³And if
you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?² (See 1 Cor.
4:7) This is the exact point Moses is making on the verge of entering the
Promised Land.

060810$-060810

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]