Drug War Chronicle, Issue #629 -(urls + editorial)- 4/23/10

Von: B Sellers (bliss@sfo.com) [Profil]
Datum: 23.04.2010 19:22
Followup-to: talk.politics.drugs
Newsgroup: talk.politics.drugs rec.drugs.psychedelic rec.drugs.misc alt.hemp alt.drugs.culture alt.drugs
Eternal September has limits on cross-posting
so this is going out in 2 separate posting to
reach all the remaining Usenet news  groups.

Drug War Chronicle, Issue #629 -- 4/23/10
Phillip S. Smith, Editor, psmith@drcnet.org
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629

A Publication of Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)
David Borden, Executive Director, borden@drcnet.org
"Raising Awareness of the Consequences of Drug Prohibition"

Get your copy of 10 Rules for Dealing with Police, the new video that
every activist -- and every American -- should memorize:
http://stopthedrugwar.org/10rules

Table of Contents:

1. FEATURE: MIXED REACTIONS TO DC CITY COUNCIL'S MEDICAL MARIJUANA
REGULATIONS
Medical marijuana is coming to the nation's capital. The question now is
how good the DC City Council will make the program. Some advocates are
happy with the progress, while others fear the restrictions could doom
the program to fail.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/DC_city_council_approves_medical_marijuana

2. FEATURE: 4/20 EVENTS BRING OUT TENS OF THOUSANDS NATIONWIDE
It wasn't just the scent of pot smoke that hung in the air over 4/20
events around the country this week, it was the sense of imminent
change. And even drug reform leaders who had been leery of such Cannabis
Nation celebrations are coming to grips with their grassroots.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/420_marijuana_events_2010

3. LATIN AMERICA: MEXICO DRUG WAR UPDATE
The Mexico Drug War Update was on vacation last week, but now it's back.
Weirdly enough, 420 people were killed in prohibition-related violence
there in the past two weeks. Nothing to celebrate about that.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/mexico_drug_war_update

4. OFFER AND APPEAL: ORDER "10 RULES FOR DEALING WITH POLICE" -- FREE
WITH A DONATION TO STOPTHEDRUGWAR.ORG
StoptheDrugWar.org is pleased to be the first drug policy organization
to offer this important new video to our members -- your donations will
support our work of building the movement and fueling public debate, too.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/10_rules_for_dealing_with_police_movie

5. LAW ENFORCEMENT: THIS WEEK'S CORRUPT COPS STORIES
A coke-peddling NYPD cop cops a plea, a Florida deputy provides a favor
to the wrong woman, and a New Orleans jail guard gets caught peddling
pot to a prisoner.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/police_drug_corruption

6. CONGRESS: HOUSE BORDER CAUCUS WANTS HALF A BILLION DOLLARS TO FIGHT
MEXICAN NARCOS
We're already $1.2 billion into helping Mexico try to wage prohibition
on its powerful and violent drug trafficking cartels. Now, border
congressmen want another $500 million in an emergency appropriation this
year.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/house_border_caucus_emergency_appropriation_drug_w
ar

7. PUBLIC OPINION: BATTLE OF THE MARIJUANA POLLS
Two national polls on marijuana legalization came out this week. One
lowballs support levels at 33%, while the other is in line with other
recent polls at 44%. In either case, we're not over the top yet, except
maybe out West.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/marijuana_legalization_poll_AP_CNBC_CBS_News

8. PUBLIC OPINION: CALIFORNIA SUPPORT FOR POT LEGALIZATION AT 56% IN NEW
POLL
Can that legalization initiative in California really pull it off? A new
poll has some encouraging numbers.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/california_marijuana_legalization_poll_SurveyUSA

9. CANADA: POLL FINDS MAJORITY STILL WANT TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA, BUT NOT
OTHER DRUGS
A majority of Canadians think marijuana should be legalized, according
to a new poll. They also approve of harm reduction -- even if the
Conservative government doesn't.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/canada_marijuana_legalization_poll_angus_reid

10. MEDICAL MARIJUANA: WISCONSIN BILL DIES AS SESSION ENDS
Wisconsin won't be the 15th state to approve medical marijuana, at least
not this year. The session ended yesterday with no Assembly floor vote.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/wisconsin_medical_marijuana_bill_dies

11. WEEKLY: THIS WEEK IN HISTORY
Events and quotes of note from this week's drug policy events of years past.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/drug_war_history

12. WEEKLY: BLOGGING @ THE SPEAKEASY
"Marijuana Will be Legal Soon (And if You Don't Like it, Move to
Canada)," "Blogger Forces Drug Czar's Office to Correct False
Information," "Happy 4/20," "Will the Economic Argument Help Legalize
Marijuana? Yes," "Three Reasons to Legalize Marijuana Now."
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/blogging_at_the_speakeasy

13. STUDENTS: INTERN AT STOPTHEDRUGWAR.ORG (DRCNET) AND HELP STOP THE
DRUG WAR!
Apply for an internship at DRCNet and you could spend a semester
fighting the good fight!
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/drcnet_internships_to_stop_the_drug_war

14. FEEDBACK: DO YOU READ DRUG WAR CHRONICLE?
Do you read Drug War Chronicle? If so, we need your feedback to evaluate
our work and make the case for Drug War Chronicle to funders. We need
donations too.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/do_you_read_drug_war_chronicle

(Not subscribed? Visit http://stopthedrugwar.org to sign up today!)

===============

1. Feature: Mixed Reactions to DC City Council's Medical Marijuana
Regulations
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/629/DC_city_council_approves_medical_marijuana

The District of Columbia City Council Tuesday unanimously approved
regulations for a DC medical marijuana program
(http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/images/00001/20100120154529.pdf),
but some patient and provider advocates are concerned the measure is too
restrictive. The measure must be voted on again next month, and then
approved by Congress under DC Home Rule law.

Under the measure approved by the council, DC residents who suffer from
HIV, cancer, glaucoma, or a "chronic and lasting disease" will be able
to possess up to two ounces of marijuana in a 30-day period after
presenting a doctor's recommendation. Patients will not be able to grown
their own medicine, but will be able to purchase it through one of five
medical marijuana distribution centers. Patients, designated caregivers,
and distributors will register with the city Department of Health and be
provided with ID cards.

Distributors will be limited to growing no more than 95 plants and must
be located at least 300 feet from schools. The original version of the
legislation had a 1,000-foot location restriction, but that was reduced
after advocates said it would make it nearly impossible to find suitable
locations in the city.

"This legislation seeks to avoid problems while assuring the District
moves forward with a medical marijuana program that is based on evidence
and best practices," said council member David A. Catania (I-At Large),
chairman of the Health Committee.

The Tuesday vote is one of the last steps in the more than decade-long
struggle to bring medical marijuana to the District. Voters approved a
medical marijuana initiative with 69% of the vote in 1998, but DC
officials were blocked from implementing the will of the voters by the
Barr amendment, named after then Rep. Bob Barr (R-GA). That amendment
was only removed last year, after Democrats regained control of the
Congress. DC officials are counting on Congress to look the other way
when asked to approve the measure later this year since federal law does
not recognize medical marijuana.

While many medical marijuana supporters are happy with the measure,
others fear it is so restrictive it will defeat its purpose. "We're
happy that they passed it -- some cities have yet to enact any
legislation -- but we have some concerns with the language that is
currently in there," said Nikolas Schiller, secretary for the DC
Patients' Co-op and member of Americans for Safe Access
(http://www.safeaccessnow.org) DC chapter. "There is no home cultivation
for patients. In 1998, District residents voted legal cultivation at
home, but this measure removes that language," he said.

"Patients can only use or possess cannabis at home," Schiller went on.
"The council is coming from a perspective where they don't want coffee
shops or places where people can medicate together, but this will be an
onerous restriction on patients. People who rely on medication for work
will have to leave work and go home to medicate."

Patient advocate and StoptheDrugWar.org assistant director David Guard
took issue with the council's failure to include chronic pain in its
list of allowable conditions. "Chronic pain isn't in there, and that's
deplorable," he said. "In DC, 3% of the population suffers from
HIV/AIDS, but according to national figures, 30% of the population
suffers from chronic pain. I'm sick of people turning their backs on
chronic pain."

Schiller also criticized the Council's decision to make distributors
for-profit operations. "The original language allowed for nonprofit
corporations, and Catania is on record as saying they only want to use
best practices from other states, but only Colorado has the for-profit
model included," he noted. "From a medical perspective, the for-profit
model is seen as being part of the larger health care industry. People
feel that for-profit distribution works against the best interests and
needs of the patients and for the business's shareholders and boards of
directors."

He also took issue with the 95-plant limit, saying it could prove
insufficient for patient demand and that it could lead to distributors
choosing fast-flowering strains instead of those best suited for
patients. "The reality is that 95 plants will not be enough at the
beginning because they won't know what the demand is," Schiller said.
"If they can only grow 95 plants and it's a for-profit business, they
will want to produce as much medicine as possible, leading to strains
that grow quickly."

The council will vote again on the measure on May 4, and then Congress
will have 30 days in which to approve it. That means DC could have a
working medical marijuana system before year's end. It also means that
advocates will have one more shot at getting a better program.

"We're thankful that the Council has been proactive and understands the
need for medical marijuana," said Schiller. "We are hoping to influence
the Council to change this for the better, and we are lobbying our
elected officials to make those changes."

================...

___________________

It's time to correct the mistake:
truth:the Anti-drugwar
<http://www.briancbennett.com>

Cops say legalize drugs--find out why:
<http://www.leap.cc>

Stoners are people too:
<http://www.cannabisconsumers.org>
___________________

later
bliss -- Cacoa  Powered... (at sfo dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cacoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]