Coolest Thing You'll Read All Day - LEARNING GETS YOU HIGH

Von: usenet@mantra.com [Profil]
Datum: 26.05.2010 17:21
Followup-to: soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.education,soc.culture.usa,alt.drugs
Newsgroup: alt.drugssoc.culture.usa alt.education alt.fan.jai-maharajsoc.culture.indian
Coolest Thing You'll Read All Day: Learning Gets You High

threefingersofpolitics.com

Man it has been a slow few days here at TFoP headquarters. Literally
nothing. However while scouring the internet for something that
angered me enough to write about, I came across this pretty sweet
study: [1]

'Thirst for knowledge' may be opium craving The brain's reward
for getting a concept is a shot of natural opiates

Neuroscientists have proposed a simple explanation for the
pleasure of grasping a new concept: The brain is getting its fix.

The "click" of comprehension triggers a biochemical cascade that
rewards the brain with a shot of natural opium-like substances, said
Irving Biederman of the University of Southern California. He
presents his theory in an invited article in the latest issue of
American Scientist.

"While you're trying to understand a difficult theorem, it's not
fun," said Biederman, professor of neuroscience in the USC College of
Letters, Arts and Sciences.

"But once you get it, you just feel fabulous."

The brain's craving for a fix motivates humans to maximize the
rate at which they absorb knowledge, he said.

"I think we're exquisitely tuned to this as if we're junkies,
second by second."

Biederman hypothesized that knowledge addiction has strong
evolutionary value because mate selection correlates closely with
perceived intelligence.

Frankly, if this is true, it explains a lot. People are so
knowledge/concept driven that it really makes you question what the
payoff is for knowing so much. Well a little hit some chemical
opiates is a pretty good payoff I'd say. I'm going to try and teach
my self something new everyday, maybe this way I'll be a little bit
more pleasant.

While I have absolutely zero idea if any of this is even remotely
true, to a layman such as myself it seems like it could be a good
reason why education is so damn stimulating. Schools that don't teach
anything rewarding to students get bad students. The schools that
push students to grasp new ideas and concepts get well-rounded,
purpose driven, students.

[1]  http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-06/uosc-fk062006.php

More at:
http://www.threefingersofpolitics.com/?p8

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

o  Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational
fair use of copyrighted works.
o  If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely not be read,
o  Posted for information and discussion. Views expressed by others are

go to:  http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]