#WR Pitts: Gad. Zooks.

Von: 3497 Dead (zepp22113497@finestplanet.com) [Profil]
Datum: 06.06.2007 14:41
Newsgroup: rush-limbaugh alt.fantalk.politics.misc alt.society.liberalism
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/060507S.shtml

Another Long Summer
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Columnist

Tuesday 05 June 2007

Politics in the American style has never been particularly sane,
to be sure. Every so often, however, the usual level of strangeness
we're accustomed to reaches a new gear, and the whole show just goes
right over the moon. Over the last few years, we've pretty much been
permanently locked into that higher gear, so it takes something
exceptionally deranged to ring the cherries.

Leave it to a Republican Party official, of course, to spelunk our
national dialogue into a whole new low. This latest installment for
the You-Gotta-Be-Kidding-Me file came on Sunday, courtesy of the
Arkansas Democrat Gazette, in an interview with that state's new
Republican Party chairman. His name is Dennis Milligan, he runs a
water treatment business, and he is very much hoping for more
terrorist attacks on US soil so the policies of George W. Bush can be
vindicated.

Yes, you read that correctly. Here's the quote:

"At the end of the day, I believe fully the president is doing the
right thing, and I think all we need is some attacks on American soil
like we had on (September 11, 2001), and the naysayers will come
around very quickly to appreciate not only the commitment for
President Bush, but the sacrifice that has been made by men and women
to protect this country."

Be warned: trying to wrap your mind around that thought-bomb is a
perilous undertaking. In truth, an apology from me to you is in order,
because everyone who reads that dreck will come away a little bit
dumber for the effort. I'm sorry, but it had to be done.

Seriously, though, chew on that one for a while and try to ignore
the taste. For the dwindling cadre of Bush supporters - defenders of
the indefensible, one might say - it has come to this. Most Americans
would probably agree that anyone actively and publicly cheerleading
for another September 11 needs therapy, or maybe a good punch in the
nose. For the Bush bitter-enders, however, such venal comments are now
acceptable talking points.

Think about the mental, moral and philosophical contortions
necessary to formulate a thought like that, especially in light of the
events of the last few days. Fourteen more American troops were killed
in Iraq; Bush's people have advocated staying in Iraq for another 50
years; the so-called "surge" hasn't come anywhere near accomplishing
whatever nebulous goals were put forth at the outset; they are
actually still looking for the much-ballyhooed WMD over there, and an
overwhelming majority of Americans are now shoulder-to-shoulder with
the anti-war Left in their disdain for this calamity, but none of that
matters, because all we really need around here is a few more
explosions and mass-casualty attacks. That'll straighten us right out,
don'tcha know.

To be sure, people like Mr. Milligan are fairly rare, and becoming
rarer with every passing day; if the poll trends continue their
current course, there won't be enough Bush supporters left in the
country to fill the roster on a Big East college football team. But
this fellow isn't some anonymous Limbaugh-addled flake. He's in charge
of the Republican Party in an entire state, one of fifty GOP state
party chairman, and it is immeasurably telling that someone willing to
say things like this on the record has been handed a position of such
responsibility.

It's hard to avoid feeling a little bit of genuine pity for people
like this, because what we have here is unequivocally pitiful to
behold. When the architecture of your integrity has crumbled to such a
degree that you express a genuine desire for more carnage and horror,
when your best political hand available requires successful acts of
terrorism in America, you've become almost less than human, loathsome
nearly beyond definition, and sad beyond measure.

There are a thousand explanations for our current situation -
corporate media distortions, oil barons who hold high office, sixty
years of foreign policy geared around the permanent wartime economic
footing Truman established after Kennan's long telegram from Moscow,
the end of the Cold War, blowback from former-ally maniacs we armed
and trained during that conflict - pick your poison - but people like
Milligan serve to explain what ails us quite succinctly.

So much for pity.

The scariest part is the real possibility of Milligan getting his
wish. The war he supports inspires and creates the terrorism he hopes
will salvage his party's standing, and if a solution isn't found soon,
the violence unleashed by this perfect circle of bloodshed may very
well come calling.

A lot of people are waiting for the Democrats in Congress to
thwart Milligan's desires, but any legislative fix is still a ways
off. A recent CBS-New York Times poll laid out the conundrum: a huge
majority disapprove of the war and wants to withdraw, or at least
wants timetables set for that withdrawal. That same poll, however,
showed a meager 13 percent support cutting the war funding, which is
pretty much the biggest club in the Democratic bag.

Those numbers bring to mind a poll, taken in Iraq a couple of
years ago, that attempted to reveal what kind of government the Iraqi
people wanted. According to the poll data, around 90 percent of all
Iraqis desperately wanted democracy as their governing principle. That
same poll, of those same people, also showed a 90 percent approval
rating for the creation of an authoritarian dictatorial regime in
Iraq.

The CBS poll provides the same kind of conflicted gibberish as
that Iraq poll. Americans want out of Iraq, want timetables, they want
this by big majorities ... but they don't want anyone to touch the
money that sustains the war they hate. Congress has the purse strings,
people want the war ended, but people don't support Congress using
their best weapon - those purse strings - to end the war. Any
Congressional Democrat trying to thread that needle with legislation,
absent a veto-proof majority, is pretty much doomed before getting out
of bed in the morning.

Basically, it's going to be another long summer. The Milligans
among us still hold enough sway to keep this berserk train on the
current tracks, the Democrats in Congress are still figuring out what
it means to be in the majority, and Mr. Bush is about to embark on a
six-nation jaunt through Europe that is almost certain to deliver
another cascade of international humiliation upon these United States.

Gad zooks.

--
"Now, by the way, any time you hear the United States government
talking
-George W. Bush, April 20, 2004

Not dead, in jail, or a slave?  Thank a liberal!
Pay your taxes so the rich don't have to.

http://www.zeppscommentaries.com
For news feed, http://yahoogroups/subscribe/zepps_news
For essays (please contribute!)
http:yahoogroups/subscribe/zepps_essays

--

One of the [Gold Star mothers], Elaine Johnson, recounted a meeting that she had with
President Bush in which he gave her a presidential coin and told her

--from interview broadcast on NPR

Putsch: leading America to asymetric warfare since 2001

Not dead, in jail, or a slave?  Thank a liberal!
Pay your taxes so the rich don't have to.
For the finest in liberal/leftist commentary,
http://www.zeppscommentaries.com
For news feed (free, 10-20 articles a day)
For essays (donations accepted, 2 articles/week)

a.a. #2211 -- Bryan Zepp Jamieson

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]