About the God of providence

Von: rhuff163 (rhuff163@cfl.rr.com) [Profil]
Datum: 03.06.2010 06:36
Newsgroup: pdaxs.religion.christian aus.religion alt.fan.jesus-christ alt.fan.jesus alt.christnet.theology
Devotional Guide For the Week of May 30, 2010

JESUS IN NUMBERS/DEUTERONOMY

About the God of providence

To Know:

³The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has
watched over your journey through this vast desert. These forty years the
Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything.² (Deut.
2:7)

The Puritans were profoundly aware of divine providence. In great part their
awareness resulted from learning the lessons of life taught by God to his
Old Covenant people, Israel. The generation delivered from slavery in Egypt
proved to be faithless. It was an eleven-day journey across the Sinai to the
border of the Promise Land. In Deuteronomy 1:2 we read, ³It takes eleven
days to go from Horeb to Kadesh Barnea by the Mount Seir road.² Unbelief
turned that trek into a lifetime of wanderings. The Puritans had no
intention of wandering aimlessly through life. They were a people on a
mission. Their mission was to establish a country to which the world could
look and see evidence that the God of the Bible is a living God who keeps
faith with those who trust his promises.

For forty years, Americans have been taught to deny their history and
imagine the past to have been essentially godless. Universities have
cherry-picked the worst examples of what we have done to native Americans
and to one another as if this was the norm in American life. The Bible has
often been blamed as having blessed the evils that were perpetrated. Forty
years ago, an effort was launched to rid biblical teaching from American
life. Prayer was forbidden in public schools. The ten commandments were
outlawed in our courtrooms. Now it is legal to kill children where they were
once upon a time best protected, in their mother¹s womb. Public schools are
war zones. Unlike our Puritan ancestors, who gave the world a ³City on a
Hill² and were a ³light to the world,² we wander through our days baffled
as
to why ³basically good people² do such evil to one another. Is it because we
have jettisoned the basis by which we once lived? After forty years of
wandering, Israel recovered its purpose and entered the Promised Land. Our
hope is to recover our history and return to the God of providence who
appeared on earth in Jesus Christ.

060310$-060310

<{{{{{{><

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]