Re: How (Not) to Identify Conspiracy Theories and Misinformation

Von: Dan Clore (clore@columbia-center.org) [Profil]
Datum: 06.06.2010 21:16
Newsgroup: alt.fan.rawilson
Sue Howard wrote:
> On Jun 3, 6:27 pm, Dan Clore wrote:
>> Didn't notice that. Hmm, well, Link TV has been showing a
>> documentary, called _Confessions of an Economic Hit Man_, [...]
>
> I remember reading something about the book (by John Perkins) which
> made me set my Horseshit-Detector to "HIGH". All the more so because
> (like the 2006 Lancet estimate of Iraqi dead) it kind of fit too
> snugly into my political worldview. Alas, I can't remember what it
> was that put me on "alert" over Perkins's book, although I can still
> list in detail the reasons for my scepticism towards the Lancet
> study, which recently won a “Dubious Polling” award from the Media
> Ethics Project (of the Art Science Research Laboratory founded by
> Stephen Jay Gould):
> http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/latest-journalism-news-updates-169.php

I saw later that the gummint page actually has some specific criticisms
of the Confessions book -- more so of the author than of the book itself.

I don't know enough to know if the criticisms offered are worth
anything. I do know that some of the material on the gummint page is
untrue (US forces never use chemical weapons, even though they admit
doing so in the case of white phosphorous) or misleading (depleted
uranium isn't a great danger due to radioactivity, but no mention of its
chemical toxicity).

I'm all for skepticism of anything whatsoever, but reviving this page
just highlights how little better the Obama admin is over the Bush admin.

--
Dan Clore

http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O