Are Doctors Treating the Diagnosis or the Patient?

Von: Raymond (bluerhymer@aol.com) [Profil]
Datum: 30.05.2010 03:30
Newsgroup: alt.health
Are Doctors Treating the Diagnosis or the Patient?
By TARA PARKER-POPE

Often patients visit the doctor with a litany of symptoms and the hope
that the doctor can give them a diagnosis.

But as Dr. Pauline W. Chen notes in her “Doctor and Patient” column
today, a diagnosis doesn’t always lead to better care. The problem,
she notes, is that once doctors settle on a diagnosis, they start
treating that specific disease, rather than always listening to the
specific problems of the patient in front of them. The illness may
have a name, but the patient has become anonymous. Dr. Chen writes:

Over the last century and a half, however, medicine has increasingly
decoupled disease from the individual. This decoupling has given rise
to the concept of precise, objective and quantifiable diagnoses,
diagnoses so separate from patients that they seem in many ways to
take on a life of their own…. When we know what is wrong, we sometimes
stop paying such close
attention to those patient experiences that seem to have little
relevance to the diagnosis at hand. We focus less on the individual
and more on the diagnosis.

To read more, check out today’s fascinating “Doctor and Patient”
column: “The Tyranny of Diagnosis.”

Have you been frustrated by the medical community’s inability to
diagnose your ailment? Did your care improve once doctors were able to
put a label on your problems? Please join Dr. Chen in the discussion
by sharing your thoughts and experiences below.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/are-doctors-treating-the-diagnosis
-or-the-patient/

'The person most likely to kill you is not a relative or a friend, or
a mugger or a burglar or a drunken driver. The person most likely to
kill you is your doctor."
--- Vernon Coleman, author, - What Doctors Don't Tell You

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]