Re: How big are surveyor pegs

Von: Steve B (deserttraver@fishymail.net) [Profil]
Datum: 19.03.2010 13:10
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:bbf6q59eegh4ophnpprj8pnhsqhh1jkcd3@4ax.com...
> How big are surveyor pegs?
>
> I've made arrangement to borrow a metal detector in the hope of
> finding one or more surveyor pegs.  I'm at the corner of the
> development, so the original property was surveyed and perhaps pegged
> at my corner, and the previous owner of my house had his own survey,
> which might have resulted in pegs.
>
> So it occurs to me, if and when I find the peg, how do other people
> know I haven't moved it?  My neighbor is suspicious enough to think I
> might do that.
>
> How long is it?  Regardless, surely it can be removed with hand tools.
> And replaced 6 inches away.   Hey!  How do I know he didn't do that
> already?
>
> There has already been one survey here. I don't want to pay for a
> second.

I have found survey pegs with a metal detector and a dowser.  I have seen
two types.  One is a piece of rebar with a brass top.  Very easy to find
with a metal detector.  One is a piece of rebar with a plastic top.  Easy to
find, but doesn't give out the signal of brass.  Set your metal detector/s
discriminator to a low setting.  Get you some orange soccer cones, or just
rocks to make squares to search so you don't go over the same area over and
over.  The brass ones really put out a signal.

When these are pounded in the ground, the rod goes first.  Then the cap.  If
one has been messed with, it is usually obvious, and if a brass one has been
rehammered, the marks will show.  Ditto with plastic.
I've never pulled one, so don't know how long they are.  The rod is usually
3/4" to 1" dia.

Let us know how it shakes out.

Steve

[ Auf dieses Posting antworten ]