Ed Quillen expert in accuracy of my thoughts

Von: LIBERATOR (spy.expert@linuxmail.org) [Profil]
Datum: 08.04.2010 06:51
Newsgroup: alt.music.van-halen alt.music.rush
If I had Bill Shatners personal email I'd try to team them. And then
get Ed to get as many as his mountain friends to head the team, of
course along with Shatners personnel (TOS people). His accurate
interpretation skills make him a valuable asset if someone like me or
Bill get vaporized and need a replacement to lead the starship out of
harms way. I currently have him spying on Mikeus... I didn't inform Ed
of this...
---------------
http://www.denverpost.com/quillen/ci_14795525

Quillen: A cure that may cause the disease

By Ed Quillen
The Denver Post

For several years, my friend and colleague Allen Best, formerly of
sundry mountain towns and now of Arvada, has been trying to sell a
history of Interstate 70 in Colorado.

He hasn't found an interested publisher, which is sad because it's
quite a tale, and one that is far from over, what with the release
this week of a study on high-speed rail service along that corridor.

In the original plans for the National Interstate and Defense
Highways, a route across our Rocky Mountains was not considered
essential for the national defense. That's saying something, because
in those days, for national defense you could justify everything from
student loans to covertly overthrowing elected governments in foreign
countries.

Instead, westbound Interstate 70 was supposed to stop in Denver. The
cross-country routes went through Wyoming and New Mexico, just as
wagons did in the days of the Oregon and Santa Fe trails.

Colorado Gov. Edwin C. "Big Ed" Johnson successfully lobbied to extend
I-70 west, and somehow the military planners were persuaded that it
was important to national defense that travel time between Denver and
Los Angeles be shorted by a few hours  which is why I-70 does not go
to the populated area around Salt Lake City, but instead terminates at
a junction with Los Angeles-bound I-15 in a rather unpopulated portion
of Utah.

So I-70 got built west from Denver, with Glenwood Canyon the last
segment to be completed in 1992.

Interstates transform regions in ways that regular highways do not.
For instance, in this part of the state where there are no interstate
highways, the major towns have been the same for about 130 years.
Durango, Alamosa, Gunnison, Montrose, Salida  they were important
railroad junctions, and have maintained their "regional hub" status
into the highway era.

Contrast that relative stability to spots like Silverthorne, Vail and
Beaver Creek, where I-70 transformed sheep pastures into urbanized
zones. It seems that two-lane highways connect existing places, while
four-lane highways create new places.

And with that growth along the corridor, the same highway that served
no discernible national need 55 years ago is now a vital
transportation artery, and one that suffers from serious congestion. A
2005 study by the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce estimated that the
highway's congestion causes an annual loss of $839 million to the
state's economy, on account of lost time, decreased productivity and
dismayed tourists.

What to do about it? You name the idea and it's likely been floated:
more lanes, "zipper lanes," congestion pricing, and limiting big
trucks, to name a few.

Add to that high-speed rail, as proposed by the Rocky Mountain Rail
Authority in its feasibility study, which also covers the I-25
corridor. That north-south route from Fort Collins to Trinidad sounds
plausible, with speeds of 100 mph.

But the I-70 corridor? That general area has been surveyed for rail
lines since 1860, with engineering marvels like the Georgetown Loop
and hustles like Brick Pomeroy's Atlantic-Pacific Tunnel, and the only
one that went through  the Moffat Line  doesn't reach the I-70
corridor until Dotsero, 150 miles west of Denver.

So even though I'm a railroad buff and would love more trains in
Colorado, I have a hard time imagining how anybody could get 70-mph
trains to work reliably in such terrain, even with $15 billion to
spend.

Besides, I-70 across the Rockies was built to solve problems that
didn't even exist when it was devised 55 years ago. Summit and Eagle
counties combined had only 5,623 residents in 1950.

Thanks to I-70, the corridor is now crowded and congested. In other
words, the highway has created problems, rather than solved them.
Perhaps Colorado should leave bad enough alone, instead of contriving
another cure that may instead just exacerbate the disease.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/quillen/ci_14795525#ixzz0kTs5CLLq