Rationality

Von: Phil Roberts, Jr. (philrob@ix.netcom.com) [Profil]
Datum: 22.05.2007 15:55
Newsgroup: alt.philosophy.kant
from my website
after many years of thinking and many rewrites
any comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated

Rationality

I am assuming the term, "rationality", refers to the cognitive map
we carry in our heads and in which the amount or degree of
cognitive rationality correlates with the extent to which this map
is comprised of beliefs that accurately and coherently represent
reality including, among other things, beliefs about how to acquire
beliefs that accurately and coherently represent reality (epistemics).
I am also assuming that when we refer to an individual as "rational"
or "irrational" that we are simply expressing an appraisal of how
this individual's cognitive map compares to the norm in this regard
including, among other things, beliefs related to the use or abuse
of logic.

Although there are a number of reasons why I am interpreting this
attribute or concept in this fashion, suffice it to say that the
only justification I deem necessary is that this is not incompatible
with our common sense understanding of what rationality "is".  In
this respect, I all but invariably visualize a follow-the-dots
diagram in which the amount or degree of cognitive rationality
correlates with the extent to which the lines have been connected
correctly and completely and in which cohering lines (coherent beliefs)
count for more than dispersed lines in terms of the ability to "see"
what the diagram represents.  For various reasons, I visualize value
in terms of the lightness or darkness of the lines (e.g., regions of
the diagram that represent valued objectives, individuals, etc.).

--

Phil Roberts, Jr.
http://www.rationology.net