The Dennis M. Hammes Archive

Von: George Dance (georgedance04@yahoo.ca) [Profil]
Datum: 07.06.2010 17:13
Newsgroup: alt.arts.poetry alt.poetryrec.arts.poems alt.arts.poetry.comments
On Jun 7, 3:08 am, Will Dockery <will.dock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> George Dance <georgedanc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >"jeannek...@aol.com" <jeannek...@aol.com> wrote:
>

>http://www.lacrossetribune.com/lifestyles/announcements/obit
uaries/ar...

knows ho
w long
the libe
rty of
into the a
apc
know the na
mes of

Herbert J. Hamm
es."

know that
his

Hammes, Manitowoc
; one
Manitowoc;
one
Peters, Vu
lcan,

father; and brot
her, Dennis

14, 2010.http:
//www.lacrossetribune.com/lifestyles/announcements/obituaries/ar...

paren
t to

biog
raphy

2008, w
as an
manual
. He
newsgroup

> > >http://www.artemisrecords.net/dockeryconley.html

> > > Yes, it could be that Uncle Dennis was what kept these newsgroups
> > > alive, since things have completely fallen apart here after his
> > > passing.
>
> > Oh, the newsgroups will muddle through; and at least his many comments
> > are more-or-less permanantly archived here. What's saddest is that
> > Dennis's website, scrawlmark.org, is gone from the web.
>
> >http://www20.search.rogers.com/search?qo=scrawlmark.org&rn=pOrGSJ1R1
Y...

> > The main page may still be preserved at archive.org, but (as we saw
> > recently with Paul Heslop's geocities site), it's unlikely that the
> > entire site will be accessible there. So, unless his son has a copy on
> > disk, it's apparently gone.
>
> Here's what we have, the Dennis Hammes Archive:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.scrawlmark.org
>
> 2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009
> 7 pages  12 pages  8 pages  6 pages  4 pages  2 pages
 0 page
>                      May 26,
2003 *

> This one,http://web.archive.org/web/20030526143944/http://scrawlmark.org/
> gives us only:
>
> Nirvana achieved
> through a state of nothingness
> your file was not found
>
> Jul 25, 2003
> Sep 23, 2003 *
>
> By here,http://web.archive.org/web/20030923100150/http://scrawlmark.org/
> the poetry is viewable...
>
> Oct 25, 2003
> Nov 23, 2003
> Nov 27, 2003
> Dec 22, 2003
>  Jan 26, 2004
> Mar 20, 2004 *
> Mar 26, 2004
> Apr 13, 2004
> May 26, 2004
> Jun 15, 2004
> Jul 26, 2004 *
> Jul 31, 2004
> Sep 02, 2004
> Sep 23, 2004
> Sep 25, 2004
> Dec 10, 2004
>  Jan 31, 2005
> Feb 08, 2005
> Mar 19, 2005
> Apr 12, 2005
> Sep 09, 2005
> Sep 21, 2005
> Dec 12, 2005 *
> Dec 13, 2005
>  Jan 12, 2006 *
> Feb 11, 2006
> Jul 20, 2006
> Nov 08, 2006
> Nov 14, 2006
> Nov 25, 2006
>  Jan 06, 2007
> Aug 24, 2007 *
> Sep 01, 2007
> Oct 05, 2007 *
>  Feb 05, 2008 *
> Mar 06, 2008*
>
> This last pagehttp://web.archive.org/web/20080306055945/http://scrawlmark
.org/
> even keeps Hammes' photo, as well as that of his beloved cat:
>
> Dennis M. Hammes with Sword:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20080306055945/http://scrawlmark.org/dmh01...
>
> His Mews:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20080306055945/http://scrawlmark.org/rox02...

Wow! What a lot of work you've done here. And what a lot of work
remains to be done; all these downlinks have to be checked, and the
individual books found and linked here (as well as on wikinfo; but
that's another story). I discovered one live link today, to the
"Prosody" sharebook -- but I think I'll put that, and any other I
find, on the list under separate threads to make them easier to find
in a search. (I think I'll use my 'aapc archivist' "sock" for that as
well; that'll be a nice touch 8)

All I can say is, thank goodness for the Wayback Machine. At the same
time, I'm a bit worried about it as the only permanent archive of
Dennis's work; I'm sure that, like the usenet archive, the web archive
needs constant attention or nothing will be findable there. However,
nothing can be copied from it without committing a copyright
violation.

So I've been thinking about what I can do about that. I can't just
copy this stuff onto a blog or site of mine, but the choices can't be
simply violate copyright or let Dennis's stuff be lost. I think
Dennis's son holds the copyright, so I'll try to contact him via
Jeanne Khan (who's now a friend of mine on facebook), and try to get
permission to copy his work on a one-time basis onto the web.

It's going to take a bit of work, as I said, but it would indeed be a
shame to have Dennis's contributions lost; and the scrawlmark stuff is
far more worth saving than what he has on internet. Of, course, too,
we've all got our own lives to lead, and plenty of other things to
spend our time on; but somebody's gotta do it.