Israeli blockade of Gaza unsustainable: White House

Von: John Manning (jrobertm@terra.com.br) [Profil]
Datum: 05.06.2010 18:00
Newsgroup: alt.bible.prophecy alt.atheismsoc.culture.jewish alt.religion alt.religion.mormon

(Reuters) - The White House said on Friday Israel's blockade of the Gaza
Strip was unsustainable and urged a Gaza aid vessel sent by
pro-Palestinian activists to divert to an Israeli port to reduce the
risk of violence.

"We are working urgently with Israel, the Palestinian Authority, and
other international partners to develop new procedures for delivering
more goods and assistance to Gaza," said Mike Hammer, spokesman for the
White House National Security Council.

"The current arrangements are unsustainable and must be changed. For
now, we call on all parties to join us in encouraging responsible
decisions by all sides to avoid any unnecessary confrontations," Hammer
said in a statement.

Israel was preparing to intercept the Irish-owned ship the Rachel
Corrie, bound for Gaza with aid and activists, after its naval operation
on Monday in which nine Turkish activists were killed on another ship
when it was boarded by Israeli forces.

"It remains a U.S. priority to provide assistance to the people of
Gaza," Hammer said.

"In the interest of the safety of all involved, and the safe
transmission of assistance to the people of Gaza, we strongly encourage
those on board the Rachel Corrie and other vessels to sail to Ashdod to
deliver their materials to Gaza," he said, referring to the Israeli port.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6536PD20100604