Fwd: "Tiger Woods Comments/Speech Given For the Inauguration"

Von: AnAmericanCitizen (noamnesty@earthlink.net) [Profil]
Datum: 01.03.2009 08:35
Newsgroup: alt.sports alt.politics.democrats alt.politics.republicans alt.politics

Tiger Woods:  Proud American, Son and Father....AAC

Tiger Woods spoke Sunday at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington during the "We  Are
One," an inauguration celebration for President-elect Barack Obama.   Below is the
text of his speech, entitled "You'll Never Walk Alone," as posted on his Web
site:

"I grew up in a military family - and my role models  in life were my Mom and Dad,
Lt. Colonel Earl Woods. My dad was a Special  Forces operator and many nights friends
would visit our home. They represented  every branch of the service, and every rank.
In my Dad, and in those  guests, I saw first hand the dedication and commitment of
those who  serve. They come from every walk of life. From every part of our country.
Time and again, across generations, they have defended our safety in the  dark of
night and far from home.

Each day -- and particularly on this historic day -- we  honor the men and  women in
uniform who serve our country and protect our  freedom. They  travel to the dangerous
corners of the world, and we must  remember that  for every person who is in uniform,
there are families who  wait for them  to come home safely.

I am honored that the military is such an important part,  not just of my personal
life, but of my professional one as well. The golf tournament we  do each year here
in Washington is a testament to those  unsung heroes. I am the son of a man who
dedicated his life to his country,  family and the  military, and I am a better
person for it.

In the summer of 1864, Abraham Lincoln, the man at whose memorial we  stand, spoke to
the 164th Ohio Regiment and said:   'I am greatly obliged to you, and to all who have
come  forward at the call of their country.'   Just as they have stood tall for our
country - we must  always stand  by  and support the men and women in uniform and
their families.

Thank you, and it is now my pleasure to introduce the US Naval Glee  Club."

Addendum added by unknown first poster:
I have never been more proud of Tiger Woods than when I  heard his  2-minute tribute
to the military at the Inaugural  Celebration in Washington DC . You know he was
greatly pressured to be there. You know  the liberals have been mad at him for a
decade for not joining their  ranks. You know he didn't want to be there.   So
instead of paying homage to Obama, he paid tribute to our soldiers. Not one time did
Tiger mention  Obama or the inauguration or the new administration. You know, he knew
he  would disappoint, even anger, many, many liberals. But Tiger is his own man. His
old man taught him to be his own man. Somewhere in that cold, gray Washington sky,
old Earl was smiling down on his son.