Blackface 'Jackson Jive' skit shocks Connick

Von: â@example.com [Profil]
Datum: 09.10.2009 06:11
Newsgroup: alt.tv.broadcasting alt.prophecies.nostradamussoc.culture.usa alt.tvaus.tv
Blackface 'Jackson Jive' skit shocks Connick

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/08/harry.connick.blackface/index.html

updated 12:40 p.m. EDT, Thu October 8, 2009

CNN) -- Movie star and singer Harry Connick Jr. made waves around the
world by condemning, on air, an Australian television skit featuring a
group of performers who wore blackface to impersonate the late pop
star Michael Jackson and his brothers.

The "Jackson Jive" performed the song "Can You Feel It" Wednesday
wearing huge black wigs, blackface and one spangled glove each. The
Michael Jackson impersonator wore whiteface.

Connick was one of the judges on the program, a special edition of the
Australian variety show "Hey Hey It's Saturday," which aired
Wednesday.

"If they turned up looking like that in the United States," he said,
frowning, "Hey, hey, there's no more show."

The show's host, longtime Australian TV presenter Daryl Somers, may
have compounded the problem by twice referring to the performers as
"boys" -- a historically derogatory way of talking to or about black
men.

Somers later apologized on air to Connick.

"It didn't occur to me until later -- I think we may have offended you
with that and I deeply apologize on behalf of all of us," he said.
"Because I know, your countrymen, it's an insult to have a blackface
routine."

Connick replied that he would not have appeared on the show if he had
known about the routine in advance.

In a message posted on his Web site, Connick wrote that "in the
American culture, the blackface image is steeped in a negative history
and considered offensive."

Connick also sought to clarify that he didn't "ascribe any motives to
anyone" or "call anyone a racist" on the show.

"I do not believe that the performers intended any harm," Connick's
message stated. "I appreciate the folks who have written in support
but please know that I allow everyone their own opinions and can only
speak for myself."

Also on Connick's Web site was a response to criticisms that the
performer was in a sketch on the "MadTV" comedy variety show in which
he appeared to be mimicking a black preacher. According to the Web
site posting, the 1996 sketch was "a spoof featuring a black baptist
[sic] minister [played by African-American comedian Orlando Jones] ...
and a white southern evangelical preacher."

Connick was playing the white preacher, the posting stated.

â¬

THE OFFENDING SEGMENT OF "HEY HEY" THAT MADE
INTERNATIONAL HEADLINES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAyGewq37w

â¬

STATEMENT ON HARRY'S WEBSITE:

http://www.harryconnickjr.com/news-press/detail.asp?type=news&id=81

Statement of Harry Connick Jr. Re Hey Hey Blackface Skit
From Harry Connick, Jr. - Official Statement - 10/8/2009
Hi Everyone:

I am in Australia now promoting my new CD and I never imagined this
trip would have so much controversy.   I've visited Australia now for
over twenty years.  I  love the Australian people.  I particularly
admire the Australians' love of life and their ability to laugh at
themselves.  Those of you who have seen my shows or seen me in several
comedic skits on TV,  know that I have absolutely no problem with
comedic sendups or making fun of myself or others.

I have watched the media storm that has erupted over my reaction to
the Hey Hey blackface skit. Where I come from, blackface is a very
specific and very derogatory thing.  Perhaps this is different in
other parts of the world, but in the American culture, the blackface
image is steeped in a negative history and considered offensive.  I
urge everyone in the media to take a look at the history of blackface
to fully understand why it is considered offensive.  I also urge you
to review the Hey Hey tape and you will see that I did not ascribe any
motives to anyone, nor did I call anyone a racist.  The blackface skit
was a surprise to me and I was simply shocked to see this on TV.  I do
not believe that the performers intended any harm.

I appreciate the folks who have written in support but please know
that I allow everyone their own opinions and can only speak for
myself.

-- Harry Connick Jr.

â¬

Harry Connick Jr seems to be basking in the limelight at Hey Hey and
Australian TV's expense.

HOOROO

UNCLE WALLY

â¬â¬â¬