"24" Season 8 - Why is Jack Bauer being nice? And where are all the explosions?

Von: Robin (use-author-supplied-address-header@[127.1]) [Profil]
Datum: 12.02.2010 16:14
Newsgroup: alt.tv.twenty-four alt.tvrec.arts.tv
Guardian.co.uk
http://tr.im/NUxB

We're six hours into season eight now  a full quarter of the day
and nothing has happened. Although season six of 24 was justly
lambasted for being ridiculous, at least by this point Jack Bauer had
been released by the Chinese government after years of torture,
stopped a suicide bomber, killed his own partner and witnessed a
nuclear explosion that killed 12,000 Californians instantly. Compare
this with season eight  so far Jack has watched a bit of television
with a little girl, put on some natty glasses, talked a little German
and not much else.

Possibly because the writers want to show what a responsible
grandparent he now is, all of Jack's legwork has been left to
supporting characters  Renee Walker is now the one who goes dark and
chops off hands, and Freddie Prinze Jr is the one who kills baddies
and saves presidents. Freddie Prinze Jr! From Scooby Doo: Monsters
Unleashed! What's going on?

Things aren't much better elsewhere, either. We've got a
Middle-Eastern president whose main concern seems to be winning the
silly haircut competition he's playing with his brother; and Starbuck
from Battlestar Galactica as a CTU agent with a shady past. She only
seems to be there be to prove that CTU a) has the world's worst HR
department and b) hasn't learned its lesson about building
headquarters that allow suspicious characters to creep into dark
corners and make secret phonecalls.

It seems like, by paring down the theatrics, 24 wants to come across
as slightly more realistic. But who wants realism from 24? We want
mad-eyed foreigners. We want massive explosions that always seem to
happen at 59 minutes and 56 seconds past each hour. We want Jack
Bauer, with a direct line to the president, tying up strangers and
electrocuting them because they might know where someone who knows
someone who might be a terrorist lives.

Of course, there are still 18 more episodes to go, so maybe things
will kick into a higher gear soon. But it had better hurry up. I don't
want to dedicate an hour of my week for the next four and a half
months waiting for an exciting moment that never comes. Jack had
better do something genuinely ridiculous in the next couple of weeks,
or else I'm switching off.