Pointer: Agent FAQs and Information [LAST REV: April 25, 2004]

Von: Don Kirkman (donkirk@covad.net) [Profil]
Datum: 25.04.2004 08:42
Followup-to: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent,alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified
Newsgroup: de.comm.software.forte-agent nl.comp.software.newsreaders alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified alt.usenet.offline-reader alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Changes from the previous posting are marked with "*****"

NOTE the many references to the Wayback Machine this month.  Maybe
important web sites don't have to die after all.  I have been able to
revive a few of the dead sites I have been carrying.

NOTES related to [Free] Agent 2.0
===============================
Now that we have the first release in the 2.x stream I'd like to begin
trimming really outdated information from this list.  As I said in my
original boilerplate language, some of these sites haven't been revised
for current versions but may still have useful information.  Some are
obvious candidates for deletion now that 2.0 is released.  With the
major changes in 1.9x and those to come in 2.x many recommendations and
suggestions on those sites for older versions no longer apply.  On the
other hand, broader discussions of functions, features, workarounds, and
utilities for older versions may still be valuable.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who uses or recommends the URLs on
this list, suggesting which are useful enough to be saved and which
should be dropped.  Email me at donkirk@covad.net.

Unless otherwise noted, URLs were reachable on April 25; FTP URLs
were not tested.

====================
[GENERAL INFORMATION]
====================

Help files, an updated User Guide current through Agent 1.91, and
other application and support files

Forte's web site  http://www.forteinc.com
Browse freely; lots of stuff and updated regularly

The Help files in [Free] Agent:  Help | FAQ

Newsgroup FAQ
http://loganact.com/agent/agentfaq.html
[text file, zip format, available]
[Compiled by William Guynes, with input from active readers of
the newsgroup; minor changes by Jeffrey Kaplan; revised 7/28/99;
hosted by Scott Logan].

This FAQ covers up to v. 1.6, and is rather outdated for [Free]
Agent's current functionality but has a good deal of useful
information on configuring, maneuvering around, and maintaining
[F]A.

Jim Bradley's site at:
http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/LANCE1.HTM   (Agent files, etc)
(Links)
WM:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/LANCE1.HTM
and a micro-FAQ of the 30 questions most asked in
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent that are not dealt with in
other FAQs:
http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/FIRST20.HTM
WM:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/FIRST20.HTM
Jim's pages all cover up through v. 1.8

*****
NOTE:  Jim's att.net pages appear to be blocked without explanation.
Fortunately his material is available on the Wayback Machine; I have
listed the links for his pages where available.

To search the WM for other disappeared pages  go to this URL
[http://www.archive.org/web/web.php] and enter the URL of the missing
page into the search engine entry slot [http:// . . .].  The WM lists
the dates on which it saved a mirror of the page, so it's best to start
from the latest and backtrack as necessary.

The WM home page has a link which can be moved onto the user's browser
for future use.

General introduction to [Free] Agent and a number of small utilities
developed by users including jonzonk, Juergen Haible, Anders Sandberg,
phranc, Walkin' Dude, Alex Oren, and perhaps others.
http://www.gordol.org/agent.html
[Jeffrey Kaplan's personal site]
Some of these utilities work with 2.0, others don't.  Feedback
would be appreciated.

Jonzonk's NewsDDE32, a utility to facilitate Google searches from
within Agent using Message ID.  This works with 2.0's current file
format.
http://web.newsguy.com/donkirk/pub/newsdde32.zip

===========
[NEWSGROUPS]
===========

alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified
de.comm.software.forte-agent
nl.comp.software.newsreaders

=======================
[NON-ENGLISH INTERFACES]
=======================

Watch alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent and Forte's Web site
[http://www.forteinc.com/international/index.php] for announcements of
Agent releases in languages other than English.

Currently available interfaces:
Dutch - ver. 1.93
French - ver. 1.93
German - ver. 1.93
German version homepage: <http://www.agent-de.org/>
Italian - ver. 1.93

Polish unofficial translation of interface:
http://www.arudnik.beep.pl
(version 1.93).

NOTE:  as stated on Forte's site, the non-English language interfaces
have to be rewritten for v. 2.0.  Forte will announce these updates as
they become available.

========================
[SETUP AND CONFIGURATION]
========================

Automating Free Agent/Agent:
http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/geoffm/Agentfaq.htm
[Geoff Merryweather]
Up to v. 0.99c  [A classic!]

Filters - explanations, examples, and utilities:
"Classic" word based:
http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/CLASSIC.HTM
WM:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/CLASSIC.HTM
"Advanced" regular expressions:
http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/REGULAR.HTM
WM:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/REGULAR.HTM
Utility to list filters:
http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/FILTERS.HTM
WM:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/FILTERS.HTM
[Jim Bradley; also see his home page for other goodies:
http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/ ]
WM:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/
Jim's pages all cover up through v. 1.8

[INFORMATION IN LANGUAGES OTHER THAN ENGLISH]

Information in Chinese:
[Translation of auorfa FAQ]
http://netcity1.web.hinet.net/UserData/terry/agent-faq/index.html
[Chen Tai-Wei]
[Translation of Forte (Free) Agent FAQ]
http://netcity1.web.hinet.net/UserData/terry/agentfaq/index.html
[Chen Tai-Wei]
This is a translation of the Guynes/Kaplan FAQ for v. 1.6

Information in Danish
http://www.usenet.dk/info/agent.html
(very basic notes on getting started)

http://www.kajsvenningsen.dk/opsat/agent.shtml
Up to v. 1.8

Information in Dutch - newsgroups and newsreaders in general, including
[Free] Agent:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sister/usenet/begfaq.txt

Quick-start help
http://users.pandora.be/flotspe/agent/
http://users.pandora.be/sb/agent/
[English version of the above page]
[s|b]
Up to v. 1.92

Information in Finnish
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/nyysit/forte.html
(some basic hints on using Agent)

Information in French:
A translation of the Agent help file:
http://www.teaser.fr/~sjacquemin/Agent/traduction.html
[Thierry Schollier and Sylviane Jacquemin]
Up to v. 1.8

Agent configuration, menu-by-menu, with screenshots and notes
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cathozie/aideinternet/agent.htm
Up to 1.8

Information in German:
http://www.paefken.westfalen.de/forteagent/
[Christof Awater]

Newer version of German FAQ:
http://www.netandmore.de/faq/forte/
[Claus Hardelt, Daniel Roth, and Huschiar Madjidi]
Through v. 1.93

Additional German resources:
http://www.soscha.de/faq/dcsfa-faq.txt
Short answers for (really) frequently asked questions
Up through v. 1.93

http://www.vibe.at/begriffe/ags-kurs.html
Introductory Tutorial ("getting started", dating from 1999)

http://news.individual.de/configuration/agent15_en.html [German]
http://news.individual.net/configuration/agent15_en.html [English]
Configuring Agent for news.individual.de (with Screenshots etc.,
can also be used for other ISPs by changing the server name(s))
Both v. 1.5 and v. 1.8

Information in Greek:
http://www.stratari.gr/faq/index.html#
Setting up Agent 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 for the Greek language
[Select Agent from the application list.   The site has
similar information for a number of other applications ]

Information in Italian:
Agent 1.91 in Italian
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/sleepers/agentitaBeta7.zip
Assorted Agent files
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/sleepers/agent.htm
Up to v. 1.92

Step by step installation with menus
http://bertola.eu.org/icfaq/softwar3.htm#fre
Detailed installation and setup

Translation of Agent Manual:
.doc version (Micro$oft Word) -
.pdf version (Acrobat Reader) -
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/sleepers/agent.htm
A translation of the v. 1.5 manual

Information in Polish
http://www.pitow.wroc.pl/~yogurt/help/
Up to v. 1.9

Filter notes in Polish
http://www.torun.pdi.net/~macias/comp/agent.html

Note:  Available in the Wayback Machine on April 24.

Information in Russian:

Collection of links to Cyrillic resources with a good [Free] Agent
section
http://shlimazl.nm.ru/soft.htm
[Konstantin Kazarnovsky]
Through v. 1.93

http://www.omsk.elektra.ru:8101/agent/index.html
["Junior"]

NOTE:  Available in the Wayback Machine on April 24.

Information in Spanish
http://www.paefken.westfalen.de/forteagent/
[Thomas Dill, Claus Hardelt, Christof Awater; translated by
Antonio Herrero]

http://www.aered.org/usuario/jrotger/guiaesfa/interme2.htm
[Joan Rotger]

NOTE:  Available in the Wayback Machine on April 24.

===========================
[TRICKS, TIPS, ISP SPECIFIC]
===========================

UseNet Web Links and Agent Tips and Tricks:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~nmt1/computer/index.html
[Norris M. Taylor, Jr.]

Google seems to have a fair number of hits on sites that discuss
setting Agent up to work with specific ISPs.

============================
[USING NON-ENGLISH LANGUAGES]
============================

Note that much of the information on these sites was written before
Agent reached its current level of language implementation.

Adding non-Roman character sets and other information (site has
English available):

WM:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990505115424/http://blue.iris.mipt.ru/timur/agent.htm
http://tinyurl.com/hz9b
[Timur T. Kadyshev]

Using Russian characters on computers:
http://visitingrussia.org/rusintnt.htm#Cyrillic
[Harry Meyer]
NOTE:  Scroll down to the relevant information on the first page
that comes up; there are several links.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/
[Paul Gorodyansky]
Not Agent specific

Adding Asian language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) reading ability to
PC applications [not (Free) Agent specific]:
http://www.geocities.com/fontboard/cjk/dbcsapps.html
[Gyula Zsigri]

Using Japanese (also Chinese & Korean in some configurations) with
[Free] Agent:
http://member.nifty.ne.jp/usr/negi/agent11.html
Both Japanese and English available
[Satoshi Kusunoki]
Up to v. 1.7

=======================================
[MODIFICATIONS, UTILITIES, WORK AROUNDS]
=======================================

Miscellaneous information:
http://www.skuz.net/madhat/agent/
[Mad Hatter]
A good source for unofficial modifications and utilities
for [Free] Agent.
The page was last updated in May, 2000, but is worth reading.
The newsgroup is current.

[DEAD LINKS - UNAVAILABLE AT LEAST THREE CONSECUTIVE MONTHS]

http://spazioinwind.it/sleepers/FAgent/FA-man.htm
[Luca]

Thanks to all the site managers who share their resources, information,
and insights about [Free] Agent.  And thanks too to those with the
imagination and foresight and resources to set up and maintain the
Wayback Machine.  As you can see, it's a new playground for me this
month.  :-)

If anyone knows about other good [Free] Agent FAQs or sites they find
useful, or has information on URL errors/changes, please email me at
donkirk@covad.net.
--
Don
donkirk@covad.net