Strange Problem with Plextor PX-870A

Von: Cyborg-HAF (cyborg_haf@hotmail.com) [Profil]
Datum: 14.01.2010 20:59
Newsgroup: alt.video.dvdr
I replaced my previous PX-810SA burner that finally died after over 800
burns ( off warranty of course ) with a current PX-870A drive.  The previous
Plextor drives I've had burned dual-layer Verbatim DVD+R DL disks that were
fully compatible with my Yamaha DVD-C750 universal player, but the new drive
burns them incompatible with the Yamaha player.  The disks are not
recognized when inserted; I've tried both Verbatim and TDK dual-layer media
and neither are recognized by the Yamaha. All burns are at the listed speed.
The disks will play in an old Pioneer deck I've tried them in though the
Pioneer has always had hang at the layer change that I had to scan forward a
bit to read the second layer of burned disks.  I've gone round and round
with Plextor Service and they fluff it off as problem with my Yamaha and say
I should get new firmware from them but they have no firmware anywhere on
their website (I've done searches with no success).  This problem has been
so bad that I finally just ordered a Lite-On iHAS424-98 to replace it after
a couple months of bad burns.  I've used Plex Utilities to scan burns from
all my burners I've had before and the new one and BLER test gave results
from the new PX-870A that were three times the error levels of any of the
previous three Plextor DVD/RW drives I've had over the years.  I've tried
upping the laser power level with little change in the error rates.  I've
upped the firmware level on the drive and that didn't help with the
dual-layer media either.  I think Plextor still designs and manufactures
their BD-R drives but farms out their DVD-RW drives now to other
manufacturers that have ruined their DVD/RW drives.