Frustating CD Burning Results

Von: jw@eldorado.com [Profil]
Datum: 12.04.2010 13:22
Newsgroup: alt.video.dvdr alt.video.dvd.tech

I'm concluding that optical drives are -- or become as they age --
idiosyncratic. That is, they behave differently. CDs that fail to copy
from one drive may copy fine from another drive.

Anyway, someone stole some of my disk copies, and so I've started to
refill that gap. Strangely, I've found that I can't copy the same
original CDs. I recently checked out 10 CDs from the library, and I
could copy only six of them. And it took two different computers to
accomplish even that modest amount. The remaining four don't show any
files and won't play on my media center independent CD player, which
is a top-line Denon.

I've tried setting drive jumpers as M & S and as CS -- which was a
suggestion from a groupy -- but that makes no noticeable difference.
So I started swapping out drives. Finally found a Sony CR-ROM that
worked with some of the CDs, but it didn't show on first boot this
morning.

Can anyone direct me to a helpful source of information about the
erratic behavior of optical drives?  Are some brands more stable than
others? Is there a difference in performance between PATA and SATA?

Thanks

Duke